Tuesday 10 August 2010

Independence comes from being dependant

Well i haven't blogged for a while.. man time goes by when your having fun..hahaha! Can you believe it is August already?? CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY!!!!!!

So this last weekend has been super crazy as I damaged my back on Friday afternoon somewhere between going to the gym and getting up to make a cuppa tea at 4pm, it is the weirdest thing i've experienced for a while. I felt shooting pain in my back followed by shaking, the sweats and a quick pep-talk to myself about not passing out OR vomiting.

To cut a long long long story short, this is what happened:

- My friend Lorraine found me in the kitchen & helped me to her desk, I couldn't walk

- There was a decision made that an ambulance get called

- The only option to walk out of the office was by inhaling gas and holding onto a paramedic

- Multiple tears were had in the A & E waiting room

- Ps Mark & Monica came to look after me and keep me company

- Got wheeled around the hospital by Monica trying to find a disabled toilet that was actually open, i think it was the 3rd one in the end.

- Was told I had a sprained muscle in my back and had an infection, got given alot of medication.

Somewhat of a surreal night really..heehehe

I try not to worry about why this happened to me? Or What does this mean? deep down inside i think i know why but the thing that i have had to really tackle through this whole experience is laying down my independence. When you are injured you obviously can't do everything like you used to, you need help, you have to rely on people to get you things, to drive you places and even to help you walk or get up from your chair - what is it about that type of dependence on people that makes me cringe, I suppose nobody wants to be the charity case do they. Which is stupid because they are your friends so your not a charity case AND if they were in your position you would do exactly the same thing...so really its silliness but more importantly i think its pride.

We are all independent in one way or another but it got me thinking about being less proud, less dependent on myself, on my thoughts, my ways and more dependent on God! By being fully dependent on God it allows us to be independent, free to live this life for him that's bursting at the seems, living to the max, guided by and open to the Holy Spirit without restraint...Now that's gutsy and i like it!! hahaha!

So how do you fully depend on God and not on your own strength, your own achievements, your own intellect, your own talents...I think KNOWING God helps..like really knowing that he loves you and wants the best for you then your more likely to trust him with everything. Its also got to be a choice every day, sometimes every second of everyday - if not its that picture of giving the steering wheel of your life over to God, giving him the permission to drive but then somehow slowly and ever so creepingly (is that a word???) seeing your hands get back on the steering wheel.

I'm not sure i have all the answers to how you be dependent on God but I think it happens when we realise that we can't do this life how he intended without him. Just acknowledging that is a start..

Xxx

2 comments:

  1. Nice one Hans! So dumb to hear about your back issues but how exciting you got to ride in an ambulance!
    I like your thoughts. "...we can't do this life how he intended without him."
    Keep blogging baby! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks honey - yeah the back thing sucks but God is good!! heehee! The blogging thing is a little strange at first but i think im getting used to it..hehehe

    Much Love
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete